Give your time. Enrich a life.
Throughout the year, volunteers from local congregations, organizations, and the community give their time to enhance the quality of life for our residents. We have many volunteers who come to entertain our residents, socialize with them, or take them for walks in the garden.
Ways to help:
- Visit with residents
- Assist residents who need help with eating (we provide training)
- Read to a resident
- Organize the library and take a book cart room to room
- Deliver the mail and newspapers
- Lead an art class or other activity
- Play a musical instrument for residents
- Assist with transporting residents around the campus
- Become a van driver
To become a volunteer, email the Director of Community Life or call (856) 813-5805.
Join the Auxiliary at Lutheran Crossings.
The Auxiliary at Lutheran Crossings is a group of caring community members who share a mission of providing for the needs of our residents. These dedicated volunteers host a variety of fundraising events throughout the year to support resident activities and amenities, such as outings to restaurants and events, on-site concerts and programs, and providing Companion Radio in residents’ rooms. In addition, members often help residents who need assistance with eating and visit with those who have few family members nearby.
Many of the members of the Auxiliary represent various local Lutheran churches and serve as liaisons to their congregations. Support is provided to Lutheran Crossings by these churches in the form of volunteering, financial contributions and in-kind donations.
The history of the Auxiliary is the history of Lutheran Crossings.
The Auxiliary began when a small band of people from Riverside, working under the leadership of Pastor Floyd Milleman, realized their dream of creating a place where the elderly could live out their lives with dignity. In 1946, at a meeting held at Zion Lutheran Church, the group learned that Eldridge R. Johnson, inventor of the Victor Talking Machine, was selling his stately Tudor-Gothic home at 255 East Main Street. In 1947, the group purchased the house known as the castle, which included 26 rooms, 7 baths, 5 fireplaces, a 5-car garage with a 5-room apartment, a two-story frame building, a 4-car garage, and a barn — all on a beautifully landscaped 12-acre property designed by Charles Miller, the designer of Fairmont Park in Philadelphia.
The Reverend Ralph Shockey of St. John, Westville, was called to be superintendent. The group’s first meeting took place on June 24, 1947, just after the Lutheran Home of New Jersey (now known as Lutheran Crossings) was dedicated. On January 25, 1961, the name was changed to the Lutheran Home at Moorestown. By 1996, the Auxiliary had raised $1 million to construct and furnish a 90-bed wing, build the on-site ice cream parlor, design and create a butterfly garden for residents with Alzheimer’s, purchase wheelchairs and transportation vans, build a library for residents, and fund regular outings, birthday luncheons, and holiday gifts. In 2018, The Auxiliary donated funds to help renovate the social hall and transform it into a Cultural Arts Center for both the residents and the local community.
Today, the Auxiliary meets monthly at Lutheran Crossings and hosts fundraising events throughout the year. If you would like to share your time and talents at Lutheran Crossings and serve on the Auxiliary, please call 856-235-1214 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.