Change Text Size

+

Auxiliary

Lutheran Crossings Auxiliary

In Winter 2015, The Auxiliary provided funds that helped purchase a new van for
transporting residents to and from doctor appointments and special outings.

The Auxiliary at Lutheran Crossings is a group of compassionate, caring community members who share a mission of providing for the needs of our residents. These dedicated volunteers host a variety of events throughout the year to raise funds for resident activities, such as: outings to restaurants and events, sponsoring in-house concerts and programs, and providing Companion Radio in the residents’ rooms. In addition, members often volunteer to help feed residents who need assistance and visit those with little to no family nearby.

Many of the members of the Auxiliary come from and represent various local Lutheran churches and serve as liaisons to their congregations. As such, various support is provided to Lutheran Crossings by these churches, through volunteering, financial contributions, and in-kind donations.

History

The Auxiliary’s origins began when a small band of interested people from Riverside, under the leadership of Pastor Floyd Milleman, realized their dream of a home where the elderly could live out their lives with dignity. In 1946, a meeting was held at Zion Lutheran Church where it was learned that the Eldridge R. Johnson, (inventor of the Victor Talking Machine) house was for sale and in 1947, the house was purchased. The $30,000 mortgage included the building known as the Castle, which included 26 rooms, 7 baths, 5 fireplaces, a 5-car garage with a 5-room apartment: a two-story frame building, a 4-car garage and a barn on 11 acres of beautifully landscaped grounds. The grounds were designed by Charles Miller, who was the designer of Fairmont Park in Philadelphia.

The Reverend Ralph Shockey of St. John, Westville, was called to be superintendent. The group’s first meeting took place on June 24, 1947, just after the Lutheran Home of New Jersey (now known as Lutheran Crossings) was dedicated. On January 25, 1961, the name was changed to the Lutheran Home at Moorestown.

All of these changes only served to bring the Auxiliary closer together. As the years rolled by, many new goals were faced by the Auxiliary as the Home grew. By 1996, the Auxiliary had raised $1 million, using funds throughout the years to construct and furnish a 90-bed wing; construct the home’s ice cream parlor; design and build a butterfly garden for the home’s Alzheimer residents; purchase wheelchairs and transportation vans; create a library for residents, as well as fund regular outings, birthday luncheons, and gifts during the holidays.

Today

The Auxiliary meets monthly at Lutheran Crossings and hosts fundraising events throughout the year. If you would like to share your time and talents at Lutheran Crossings and serve on the Auxiliary, please call (856) 235-1214 or email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).