The original building at 255 East Main Street was erected in 1894 as a private residence of Samuel Leeds Allen, inventor of the Flexible Flyer sled. Built of Pennsylvania limestone and Indiana sandstone trimmings, the structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Allen called the Tudor gothic castle “Breidenhart,” meaning “broad hearth stone” or “hospitality.” In 1920, the home was purchased by Eldridge R. Johnson, inventor of the Victor Talking Machine.
Twenty plus years later in 1946, Johnson’s widow sold the house and its 12 landscaped acres to what was then the Lutheran Home of New Jersey. The skilled nursing facility established in the house was dedicated on June 22, 1947 and welcomed 16 residents in the first year. In 1961, the “Home” was renamed, “Lutheran Home at Moorestown.”
As a program of Lutheran Social Ministries of New Jersey, the community adopted the name “Lutheran Care at Moorestown” in 2006 to reflect the expanded comprehensive services being provided, including assisted living and sub-acute rehabilitation, in addition to the long-term care that has become so well-known.
In March 2014, the facility changed its name to "Lutheran Crossings Enhanced Living at Moorestown," reflecting the organization's ongoing commitment to fulfilling the physical, social, and emotional needs of residents, as well as serving the evolving needs of its aging population.
In 2017, we shortened the name to "Lutheran Crossings at Moorestown" and celebrated its 70th anniversary of caring for seniors in Moorestown and the surrounding areas.
Today, our senior care community continues to serve generations of families with warmth and compassion.
New Jersey Monthly